Spring time is Maple Season time in Upstate NY. My mom and I really enjoy going to the Maple Festival in Mumford, NY. Last year, we learned how to tap a Maple Tree and make pure Maple Syrup. My mom was so excited she has a few Maple Trees in her yard, that she bought a tree tapping kit and starting tapping her own tree for Maple Sap and making Maple Syrup out of it. You would be surprised how long it takes to get the Maple from the tree and how little you get from one tap. It is no wonder pure maple syrup costs so much!These Maple Walnut Cookies are the perfect recipe for Maple Season time! My step dad found this delicious recipe in the newspaper a few years ago and we have been making them ever since!
* 2 Eggs
* 1/2 cup of Butter Crisco
* 1 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar
* 1 Cup of Sour Cream
* 1 TBSP of Maple Extract
* 2 + 1/2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
* 1/2 tsp. of Baking Soda
* 1/2 tsp. of salt
* 1 Cup of Chopped Walnuts
* Beat together Crisco, Brown Sugar, and Egg
* Stir in Sour Cream and Maple Extract
* In a small bowl, mix Flour, Baking Soda, and Salt
* Add to Crisco Mixture and Blend, then add chopped Walnuts.
* Cover and Chill dough for at least an hour.
* Pre-heat oven to 375 Degrees
* Drop by TBSP's onto a cookie sheet lined with Parchment Paper.
* Bake for 10 minutes
* When cookies are done, let them fully cool on cookie rack and then make the Glaze for the top (See how to make Maple Butter Glaze Below)
* Dip the tops of each cookie with the Butter Maple Glaze
Maple Butter Glaze Ingredients:
* 1/2 Cup of Softened Butter
* 2 Cups of Powdered Sugar
* 2 TBSP of Maple Extract
* 2-3 TBSP of Hot Water
* In a small sauce pan, Heat Butter until Golden Brown
* Add Powdered Sugar and Maple Extract and whisk
* Add Water a TBSP at a time, until the right consistency and whisk.