Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Fusilli with Spinach Pesto & Sausage(optional)

        This is one of my top three types of pesto that I really enjoy making and eating.  Not only is it delicious, but it is a great way to sneak those greens in your diet! This was one of the only ways my mom could get me to eat spinach and now it is one of the only ways I can trick my husband into eating spinach.  Since I live with a carnivore (My hubby), I cooked Italian sausage links to toss into the pasta as well.  Feel free to leave the sausage out though if you prefer a vegetarian meal.  I am not Irish, but  this is also the perfect green meal in honor of St. Patrick's Day that is coming.
Ingredients:
(I forgot to add lemon juice to the picture)
* 1 pound of fusilli Pasta
* 1 Bag of Baby Spinach (do not get regular spinach, just baby)
* 1/3 cup of Olive Oil
* 1/2 cup of Walnuts
* 3 cloves of Garlic
* 1/2 cup of Grated Cheese (I use a blend of Parmesan and Pecorino)
* 1 TBSP of Lemon Juice 
* Salt and Pepper to taste
~*~Optional: 1 Pound of Italian Sausage Links (cooked and sliced)
Procedure:
* In a small frying pan, toast walnuts on Medium High Heat until toasted (do not burn)
* In a Large Food processor, put: Baby Spinach, Olive Oil, Toasted Walnuts, Garlic, and some Salt and Pepper.  Blend until smooth.
* Place mixture into a bowl and fold in Lemon Juice and Grated Cheese. Set aside. 
*Optional: At this point, cook and slice your sausage. I pan fried it, but you can grill it if you want.
 
* Boil 1 lb of Fusilli pasta until al dente
* Place Fusilli is a pasta bowl and toss spinach pesto into the hot pasta.
* Top with grated or shredded cheese (I used a Parmesan and Pecorino shredded blend)
* Serve in individual bowl with sausage on top or without!
Enjoy!

No comments: