My mom and dad use to make homemade pizza growing up and my mom would always use the left over dough to make Pizza Fritta (fried dough) with cinnamon and sugar. It was always a sweet treat to have! While fried pizza dough does taste amazing, I have discovered that fried Buttermilk Biscuits make delicious doughnuts! I had left over biscuit dough one day and decided to try making doughnuts and YUMMO!! The best part is that this is so inexpensive and easy to make. It is the perfect quick dessert for a night when you have guests coming over.
|I forgot to add the stick of butter to the picture.|
*1 can of Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits
* 1 Cup of Sugar
* 1 1/2 TBSP of cinnamon
* 1 Stick of butter
* Vegetable oil for frying
*Pour oil into skillet to the depth of a little less than 1/2 an inch and heat on medium to medium high for about five minutes.
* Using a 1 1/2 inch Biscuit cutter (or a bottle cap will work), cut the center out of each biscuit.* In a bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
* In a separate bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar.
* Drop dough into hot oil, watching carefully and turning when golden. It takes about 1 min 30 seconds on each side. (I turn them with chop sticks)
* Once doughnuts are golden on both sides, remove to paper towel lined cooling rack. Repeat until all dough is cooked, including doughnut holes.
* Dip both sides of each doughnut into melted butter, then press both sides into cinnamon sugar mixture.
~*~ TIP~*~ Feel free to make powdered doughnuts by dipping them into Powdered Sugar or Glazed Doughnuts by making a simple milk, Butter, Vanilla and Powdered Sugar Glaze. You can also fill them with Jelly or Chocolate Pudding! The ways are endless!