Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Monday, January 18, 2016

Lamb with Peppers in Sauce

          Lamb with sweet green bell peppers slow cooked in tomato puree is one of those meals that brings me back to my childhood. This is an old family recipe that came from my Great Grandma Assunta Caccamo.  I never got to meet her because she died before I was born, but my father lived with her as a child and learned how to cook many amazing dishes from her; this being one of them.  My father would make this about twice a year and it was always a favorite of mine.  I would walk in the door from school and right away could tell my dad was making this old family favorite, by the amazing aroma that would spread throughout the house.  It has a very distinctive smell and whenever I make it now as an adult, the smell lingering throughout my house gives me flashbacks of family dinners in our little kitchen and images of absorbing fresh Italian bread in the delicious lamb sauce.  
          My family never wastes anything, so after eating the lamb with pepper and bread, my father would take all that left over lamb sauce and peppers, add red wine to it, and let it simmer for another 45 minutes.  He would then toss it is some Spaghetti and that would be our dinner the following evening, Boy was is delicious! Trust me! 
         I have mentioned in another post that my father unfortunately suffered a few strokes and does not remember how to make any of the amazing meals I have fond memories of as a child.  I thank god that I asked him for these recipes years before he had these strokes and wrote them down in a book. I know my great grandma Caccamo would be so proud of my dad for sharing her recipe with me and for me continuing to keep some of her special recipes alive.  

Please Click Here for Printable Version

Ingredients
  • 3 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 5-6 cloves of Fresh Garlic
  • 8 Shoulder Lamb Chops
  • 1 12oz Can of Red Pack Whole Peeled Tomatoes
  • 1 6oz can of Hunts Tomato Paste
  • 4 Green Bell Peppers
  • Salt and Pepper for taste
Procedure:
  • Trim some of the fat off of the Lamb Chops and cut each one in half, lengthwise.
                                      
  • Cut Garlic cloves in 4's 

  • Place a large Sauce Pot on High  Heat, add the Olive Oil and the Garlic.  
  • Once the Oil is hot, add the Lamb Chops and brown on both sides.  As you brown them, season with Salt and Pepper.  
                               

  •  Meanwhile, put the Whole Peeled Tomatoes and Tomato Paste in a food processor or blender until smooth.  
                                               
  •  Once the Lamb is lightly browned on both sides, add Tomato Puree and stir.
  • Once the sauce comes to a simmer, lower the heat to LOW, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes.  
                                      
  • While that is cooking, clean out your Bell Peppers and cut into slices.  Set aside.

  • After the Lamb has been cooking for 45 minutes, add the peppers, lightly toss, cover and let cook another 45 minutes.  
                                       

  • Serve with Warm Crusty Bread.  
                                  
~*~ENJOY~*~
Tip:  The next day, take the leftover Sauce and Peppers, add Dry Red Wine and simmer an extra 45 minutes.  Boil about ½ lb of Linguine and toss in the sauce and peppers.  You will have an amazing other meal!


No comments: