My family never wastes anything, so after eating the lamb with pepper and bread, my father would take all that left over lamb sauce and peppers, add red wine to it, and let it simmer for another 45 minutes. He would then toss it is some Spaghetti and that would be our dinner the following evening, Boy was is delicious! Trust me!
I have mentioned in another post that my father unfortunately suffered a few strokes and does not remember how to make any of the amazing meals I have fond memories of as a child. I thank god that I asked him for these recipes years before he had these strokes and wrote them down in a book. I know my great grandma Caccamo would be so proud of my dad for sharing her recipe with me and for me continuing to keep some of her special recipes alive.
Please Click Here for Printable Version
- 3 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5-6 cloves of Fresh Garlic
- 8 Shoulder Lamb Chops
- 1 12oz Can of Red Pack Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 6oz can of Hunts Tomato Paste
- 4 Green Bell Peppers
- Salt and Pepper for taste
- Trim some of the fat off of the Lamb Chops and cut each one in half, lengthwise.
- Cut Garlic cloves in 4's
- Place a large Sauce Pot on High Heat, add the Olive Oil and the Garlic.
- Once the Oil is hot, add the Lamb Chops and brown on both sides. As you brown them, season with Salt and Pepper.
- Meanwhile, put the Whole Peeled Tomatoes and Tomato Paste in a food processor or blender until smooth.
- Once the Lamb is lightly browned on both sides, add Tomato Puree and stir.
- Once the sauce comes to a simmer, lower the heat to LOW, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- While that is cooking, clean out your Bell Peppers and cut into slices. Set aside.
- After the Lamb has been cooking for 45 minutes, add the peppers, lightly toss, cover and let cook another 45 minutes.
- Serve with Warm Crusty Bread.
~*~ENJOY~*~Tip: The next day, take the leftover Sauce and Peppers, add Dry Red Wine and simmer an extra 45 minutes. Boil about ½ lb of Linguine and toss in the sauce and peppers. You will have an amazing other meal!