Lasagna can be such a hassle to make at times! On a night where I do not feel like going through the whole process of making a traditional lasagna, I have been making lasagna right in a large frying pan. After making it a few times and tweaking it each time, I have finally perfected it and it is outstanding! My husband says it is one of his new favorites!
*1 pound 90% lean ground beef
*1 Hot Italian Sausage Link (Casing Removed)
*1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
*1 clove garlic, minced
*3 cups of broken up Mafalda Pasta (A flat wide ribbon pasta. Kind of like a narrow lasagna noodle. I break it up into 5-6 pieces)
*3 cups of Tomato and Basil pasta sauce
*1 1/2 cups water plus extra if needed
*1 cup of Sorrento Whole Milk Ricotta Cheese
*1 cup of Whole Milk Mozzarella Cheese plus more to sprinkle on top later
* ¼ cup grated Parmesan and Pecorino Cheese Blend
*2 TBSP's of fresh Parsley, finely chopped
*Salt and Pepper to taste
* Chop the Onion and Mince the Garlic.* In a large skillet cook and stir ground meat, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is browned and onion is tender.
* Break the Pasta up.
* Stir in pasta, sauce, and the water. Bring to boiling, reduce heat.
* Cook, covered, for 15 minutes or until noodles are tender and liquid is absorbed. If the pasta is still too hard, add more water, cover and cook longer until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
* When Pasta is fully cooked, drop cheese mixture by spoonfuls over meat mixture and then sprinkle more Mozzarella cheese over the top. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes more or until cheese melts.
* Serve with a spatula. It holds up really well!