Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Friday, March 6, 2015

Torta Pan di Stelle

 
One of the ways I keep in contact with many of my friends and family in Italy is through Facebook.  I love reading what they are up to and seeing the pictures they upload, especially pictures of food.  On March 8th they recently celebrated " Festa Della Donna," and so I saw pictures uploaded of the traditional holiday cake called "Mimosa."  One other dessert that caught my eye was a beautiful dessert my cousin made that was decorated with one of my favorite cookies called, "Pan Di Stelle."  I knew I had to make it and so I messaged her asking for the name of this cake.  The name is, "Torta Pan di Stelle" and yes I you-tubed a recipe for it...yes I made it right away...and yes I translated the ingredients to English and converted the measurements.  It is dangerously delicious and surprisingly easy and quick to make!
Please Click Here for Printable Version:
Recipe Resource:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cmv43UgZil8
Ingredients: 
(This is enough to make 2 layers, if you want to make it 3 or 4 layers then just buy more cookies)
 *1Bag of Pan Di Stelle Cookies (you can find them in the Italian Section at Wegmans)
*1 Regular Size Jar of Nutella (about 400 grams)
*1 Cup of already Brewed Espresso (I brewed my own, but I am sure instant Espresso would be fine)
* 1/2 cup of Regular Milk (I use 2%)
* 2 Cups of Cold Heavy Cream
* 1/2 Cup of Powdered Sugar
* Unsweetened Cocoa Powder for Dusting
Materials you will need:
* 8 inch Spring Form Pan, a fork, a spoon, and a sifter
Procedure:
* First make the Whipped Cream by Whisking the Heavy Cream and Powdered Sugar with a hand blender or the whisk attachment on you KitchenAide Mixer until thick (I put it on High Speed).
* Once the whipped Cream is done, put it in the refrigerator to stay cold until you are ready to use it.  
 
 * In a small bowl, mix the brewed Espresso and the Regular milk together and set aside.
* Put the Nutella in a glass bowl and microwave for 30 seconds to soften it up.  
* Now we are ready to assemble the cake!
 
* With a fork, dip a cookie in the Espresso mixture on at a time and arrange them in the pan.  You may need broken cookies to fill in some gaps, but it does not have to be perfect.  I used about 10 cookies for each layer.  

 
 

* Next, spread a layer of Nutella over the cookies.
* Then, spread a layer of Whipped Cream (make sure you save about 1/2 cup of the whipped cream to cover the sides of the cake towards the end). 
* Repeat the procedure again: Dip the cookies in Espresso Mixture, Arrange the cookies one by one evenly, spread a layer of Nutella, and then a layer of Whipped Cream.
 
*  I made my cake with 2 layers, but please feel free to buy more cookies and make a 3rd layer if you desire.  The cake is pretty rich, so for me 2 layers is enough.  
*  Now Sift the Cocoa Powder all over the top of the cake.
* Put the cake in the refrigerator for about an hour to settle. 
* Take the cake out of the Refrigerate and release the cake from the pan
 * Spread Whipped Cream all around the cake.
* Place the Pan di Stelle Cookies on all edges of the cake and on the top of the cake in the middle.
 * Cut into Slices or cover and refrigerate until ready to eat!

~*~Enjoy~*~


No comments: