Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Monday, October 6, 2014

Chili Con Carne

My dad did a lot of the cooking when I was a child and one of his signature meals when the weather got cooler was always Chili Con Carne. Back then my dad always had to make a separate chili for me with no beans and no hot spices.  He would make fun of me for it saying that basically what I was eating should not be considered chili haha and I guess he was right.  Now that I'm an adult, I like the beans in it and I love it spicy! Due to medical reasons my dad forgot how to make his chili and never wrote it down, so I have been trying to play with different recipes to come up with one similar.  I haven't been able to make one just like my dad used to make us, but I have perfected a Chili of my own.  
Please Print Here For Printable Version:
Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs of 90% Lean Ground Beef
  • 1 TBSP of Olive Oil
  • 1 Large Cooking Onion, Diced
  • 1 Large Green Bell Pepper, Diced
  • 3 Cloves of Garlic, Minced
  • 4 TBSP of Worcestershire Sauce 
  • 2 tsp. of Ground Cumin
  • 5 TBSP of Chili Powder
  • 2 TBSP of Mexican Hot Chili Powder (found in the spice isle) )
  • 10 oz can of Rotel Original Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
  • 1 1/2 cups of Beef Stock
  • 12 oz Jar of Medium Chili Sauce (Wegmans Brand)
  • 2 1/2-3 cups of water (I just filled the Chili Jar Bottle twice with water)
  • Salt and Pepper to Season
  • 16 oz can of Bush's Dark Kidney Beans
  • 16 oz can of Bush's Light Kidney Beans
  • *Optional Shredded Monterrey or Cheddar Cheese to sprinkle on top when serving

Procedure:
  • Dice your Bell Pepper and Large Onion and Mince Garlic and set to the side.  


  • In a Large Pot, heat Olive Oil on Medium High Heat.
  • Add Ground Beef and cook until thoroughly cooked, breaking it into crumbles.
  • Season with Salt and Pepper.


  • Add the Diced Pepper and Onion and Minced Garlic and cook for about 5 minutes.


  • Add the Worcestershire Sauce, Cumin, Chili Powder and Mexican Chili Powder and cook for about 5 minutes.


  • Add the Chili Sauce, Water, Beef Stock, and Rotel Tomatoes.


  • Bring Heat to a Simmer and cover the pot leaving it partially opened to let the liquid absorb.
  • Let simmer for 30 minutes.


  • After 30 minutes, Rinse the Kidney Beans in water and add them to the Chili Mixture.


  • Let cook for another hour with the lid partially opened and stir the chili about every 20 minutes. Add more Salt if needed.


  • Serve it up in bowls (My husband and I love ours with Shredded Cheese and homemade biscuits)



~*~Enjoy!~*~

No comments: