Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Button Cookies

Last night I tried making another recipe from my husband's late grandmother's recipe box.  Usually I stick to making something I know I make good, but when I'm bored, I love to experiment and try a new recipe, until it comes out horrible and  I realize I just wasted money on ingredients in which I need to throw out.  In this case, the button cookies actually came out really good and they looked absolutely adorable! The flavor is a cross between a sugar cookie and a shortbread cookie and not too sweet at all.  The texture is slightly crunchy.  You could even spread chocolate in between two cookies if you wanted it to be sweeter.  These were fun to make and I am looking forward to trying out some more of Jimmy's grandmother's recipes hidden in that little wooden box!
Ingredients:
* 3/4 cup (12 TBSP) of Unsalted Butter at room temperature
* 1 Cup of Powdered Sugar
* 1 Egg
* 1 tsp of Almond Extract
* 2 1/2 C. of All Purpose Flour
* 1/4 tsp. of Salt
~*~Optional~*~ Food Coloring :(The recipe didn't call for it, but I thought they would look pretty colored, so I did)
Procedure:
* In a large bowl, mix the Butter and Powdered Sugar
* Add the Egg, Almond Extract and Salt and mix well.
* Add the Flour and mix until it forms a hard/dry dough
* At this point you can add your food coloring if you wish to. I used two different colors, so I had to divide my dough into two separate bowls.
* Cover the dough and let it chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
* Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
* Next you will need a clean flat surface, a rolling pin, two circle cutters (I used the top of my non stick Pam spray and a 1 1/4 inch biscuit cutter) and a thin stick type tool to make the dots (I used a meat thermometer to poke the holes). Pretty much use whatever you have in your house that will make the button shape!
* Roll your dough out about 1/4 inch thick and cut the larger circles first (about 2 inch circle cutter)
* Lightly press the smaller circle cutter into the middle, making sure you do not cut all the way through.
                                     
* With your meat thermometer or toothpick, make the button holes.
* Put parchment paper onto a cookie sheet and lay cookies on the sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes.
~*~Enjoy~*~

No comments: