Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Grandma's Cherry Squares

 
My grandma Vito was not much of a cook, but she was a great baker.  Most of my baked good recipes come from her recipe cards and are goodies she would make us growing up.  Her cherry squares are one of those treats that always remind me of her.  She still makes them once in a while when she feels like it.  These cherry squares are loaded with cherries and nuts, so when I was little I use to pick the nuts and cherries off and she would tell me that I am missing out on the best part.  The older I got I learned to love every part of the cherry squares, even the chunks of cherries.
Please Click Here for Printable Version.
Ingredients:
* 1 cup of shortening (CRISCO)
* 1 cup of Granulated Sugar
* 1 tsp. of Vanilla Extract
* 2 large eggs (beat 1 at a time)
* 2 cups of All Purpose Flour
* 1 cup of chopped Walnuts
* 1 can of Cherry Comstock Filling
Procedure:

* Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
* Cream shortening, sugar, vanilla and eggs (one at a time)
* Add flour
* Mix Well
* Spray a 9X9 inch pan with cooking spray
* Spread 3/4 of the mixture into the pan
* Spread the cherry filling over the mixture
* Sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top
* Drop remaining batter in dollops across the top of the filling
* Bake for 40-45 minutes at 350 degrees, until top is lightly golden brown
 * Cut after cooled into squares!
 
~*~Tip~*~ If you would like smaller squares, just spread out smaller dollops on top
~Enjoy!

No comments: