Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Madeleines


 Madeleines are a delicious and beautiful french shell shaped cookie.  Even though they are french, the first time I had one was while I was in Italy.  My Italian friends took be grocery shopping with them and bought a bag of Madeleines to snack on in the car. I must have eaten 10 they were so good!  The other day, I was so excited to see the girl Sonia from my favorite Italian cook show called "Giallo Zafferano" make these Madeleines.  I wrote down the recipe and drove to the store to find a Madeleine pan and luckily I was able to find one at Bed Bath and Beyond.  I needed to have this pan or else as Sonia on the cooking show says, they are not Madeleines.  The shape is the reason for the name.  I hope you enjoy snacking on these as much as I do!
Please click here for printable version:
Special Tool: Madeleine Pan 
Ingredients: (Makes 24 Madeleines)
* 1 cup of flour
* 3 1/2 tsp. of Almond Extract (vanilla, orange or lemon would be good too)
* a pinch of salt
* 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
* 2 eggs
* 100 grams of butter (about 7 TBSPs)
* 1 3/4 tsp. of Baking Powder
* 2 TBSPs of whole or 2% milk
Procedure:
* In a small bowl melt the butter and then set aside to cool. 
* In a large bowl sift Sugar, Flour, Baking Powder, and Salt.
* Beat Eggs in a separate bowl and add cooled down butter and extract.
* Add the Egg, Butter, and Extract mixture to the Flour Mixture and whisk together
* Add the 2 TBSPs of Milk to the mixture and whisk again.
~*~Note~*~ the mixture should not be too thin or too thick
 
 * cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 1 hr. 
* Butter and flour your Madeleine Pan
* Fill each mold 3/4 of the way full.
* Bake at 350 degrees for 13 minutes until lightly golden.
 * When cool, sprinkle the top with powdered sugar if you would like!
 Enjoy!

No comments: