Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Very Berry Strawberry Shortcake

 As a teacher, we are always finding reasons to bring in treats for celebrations.  Four years ago I worked at a school in Penfield and it was one of my co teachers birthdays, so another teacher named Peg, made these delicious Strawberry Shortcakes to celebrate with. I am sure you have all had strawberry shortcake, but this particular recipe was different because she actually incorporated the strawberries in the biscuit dough!!!  She baked the biscuits and then added more cut up strawberries, ice cream, and whipped cream!  This strawberry shortcake is out of this world and is the perfect summer treat! I recently had some of my now co workers over for dinner and served this for dessert.  Needless to say it was a bug hit and I thank Peg for sharing this wonderful recipe with me four years ago.
Please Click Here for Printable Version:
Ingredients:
Shortcake Biscuits:
*1 3/4 cups flour
*2 Tablespoons sugar
*4 teaspoons baking powder
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*6 tablespoons very cold butter cut into 1/2-inch pieces
*1/2 cup diced fresh, ripe strawberries
*2/3 cup half-and-half or milk
For the Toppings:
*Sliced Strawberries
*Vanilla Ice Cream
*Whipped Cream (Canned or homemade)

Procedure:
*Heat oven to 425 degrees

* Drain and Slice enough strawberries for topping and biscuits. Take 1/2 cup of the Strawberries and Dice them into small pieces for the biscuit.  
*In large bowl combine flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt.
* Mix in cold butter pieces until very course with a pastry cutter.
 *Add diced berries, tossing lightly to mix. 
 
*Stir half and half into flour mixture just to moisten.
*Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly two or three times, do not overwork. 

*With a Rolling Pin, Roll dough out to 3/4 " thickness, using 2 1/2 or 3-inch biscuit cutter.
 *Cut out 6 rounds, re-rolling and cutting out scraps if necessary. 
*Grease large cookie sheet or line with Parchment paper.
*Place on prepared cookie sheet, spacing about 1 inch apart.

*Bake 12 to 15 minutes until golden.
 *Once Cool, Cut is half and top with a scoop of vanilla Ice Cream, Sliced Strawberries and Whipped Cream.
 Enjoy!


No comments: