Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Frosa

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm at home during this storm! I love that school was closed, because it has given me the time to finally post a blog! Today's family recipe is another one that brings back childhood memories.  My dad would make Frosa for my bother and I as an after school snack and we would be so excited when we got home and saw them waiting for us on a plate! This recipe was invented by my Great Grandma Caccamo.  I recently found out by one of my cousins how my great grandmother came up with this recipe.  Due to poverty back in the day, people did not like to let anything go to waste, so whenever she made cutlets, she would have left over breadcrumb and egg mixture and would use the left overs to make this mixture she called Frosa.  I really love that story and love hearing other stories about recipes passed onto generation after generation in my family.  
Please Click Here for Printable Version:
Ingredients:
*1 lb of Fresh Spinach
* 1 Large Garlic Clove, minced* 2 tbsp. of Pure Olive Oil plus extra for frying* 2 Large Eggs * 1/2 cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs* 1/3 cup Freshly Grated Cheese, I use a blend of Parmesan and Pecorino * Salt and Pepper to taste
Procedure:
* Rinse spinach and remove stems.
* Pour 2 tbsp of olive oil and garlic into a large pan or pot and sauté in medium heat for about 1-2 minutes.
* Add spinach and toss with tongs for about 5 minutes until the spinach is fully cooked. You will notice it will significantly reduce in size!
 
* Place a colander into a bowl and add the cooked spinach into the colander to drain the liquid as it cools.
* once the spinach is cooled, squeeze out the remaining liquid with your hands. Get as much liquid out as you can! 
* Dump the liquid out and rinse the bowl then place the spinach back into the bowl and cut the spinach with a fork and knife into very tiny pieces! 
* Add 2 beaten eggs, cheese, breadcrumbs salt and pepper and mix well with a fork; set aside.
 
* Heat a large frying pan with olive oil about 1/4 inch high, on medium high heat.
* Once the oil is hot, take a heaping spoonful if the mixture and place it in the frying pan, press down on it with a fork to flatten and spread it out. You will get 5 Frosa patties from this recipe.
* Let the patties cook for 4 minutes and then gently flip them over to the other side and let cook another 4 minutes. They should be a nice golden brown color.
* When done, place on a towel to drain the oil.
* Serve hot, warm or at room temp!
~*~Enjoy~*~

No comments: