Welcome!

Ciao! My name is Yolanda and I'd like to welcome you to my Blog! I have always had a love for cooking, baking and eating. This blog is mainly a place for me to record and share precious family recipes from those living and deceased as well as delicious recipes that my friends have given me throughout the years.

Translate

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pumpkin Chili

Whenever I visit my mom, I always walk in her house knowing ill be smelling something homemade cooking.  I also know whatever she is making is probably something I have never heard before, as she often likes to get creative with her recipes.  Last Sunday she told me to stop over for chili, so I did,  When I got there I knew it did not smell like regular chili and of course it wasn't! It was a Turkey Pumpkin Chili.  I love pumpkin and all, but didn't think I would like a pumpkin chili or one that had ground turkey instead of beef.  She had me taste it anyways and believe it or not it was amazing! It had a ton of flavor to it.  I had to ask her for the recipe right away before she forgot what she even put in it, which often happens when she experiments with ingredients.  Today I made it for my husband and when I told him what kind of chili it was his first reaction was the same as mine and surprisingly he loved it! This is a great Fall twist to Chili, so do not be afraid to try it out!
Please Click Here for Printable Version:
Ingredients:
* 2 lbs of ground Turkey Meat
* 1 medium Chopped Cooking Onion
* 3 TBP. of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
* 1 cup of Canned Pumpkin
* 1- 28 oz canned of  Petite Diced Tomatoes (I used Hunts brand)
* 1- 16 oz can of Dark Kidney Beans (drained)
* 2 TBSP. of Chili Powder
* 1 TBSP. of Hot Mexican Style Chili Powder (made by McCormick)
* 2 tsp. of Pumpkin Pie Spice
* 1 1/2 cups of water (just fill the bean can with water once its empty)
* 1 tsp. of Dark Brown Sugar
* 1 1/2 tsp. of Salt
* 1 tsp. of Ground Black Pepper
Procedure:
* Chop the Onion

* In a large skillet, brown ground turkey and onions in the olive oil until the ground turkey is fully cooked.

 * Add the Pumpkin, Tomatoes, drained Kidney Beans, and water.  Stir the mixture.
* Next, add the Chili Powder, Hot Mexican Chili Powder, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Dark Brown Sugar, Salt, and Pepper. Mix well again.
* Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cover the top leaving a slight opening. Simmer for 1 hour.  Make you you give it a stir about every 20 minutes. 
* Serve and enjoy! I served mine with toasted Naan bread that I pan fried in butter and Garlic Powder on both sides and then cut into wedges.  

No comments: