We always get our meat from Skips Meat Market, where my husband's friend works. Jimmy's friend always takes good care of us there and he recently gave us a great deal on a 5 lb Bone in Prime Rib Roast. I had never made one before and looked at it thinking about what in the world to do with it. The next day Jimmy came home from work and handed me a recipe called "The perfect Prime Rib Roast" from his friend Jeff at work. I tried it out and the Prime Rib really did come out perfect! It was really tender and flavorful. I am now no longer scared of making a Prime Rib. If you have never made one either, I promise it's not as hard as it seems to be.
* Bone In Prime Rib Roast (Mine was 5 lbs and feeds about 4-5 people)
* 6-8 Cloves of Garlic
* Garlic Powder
* McCormick Au Jus Gravy Packet
*Take the Prime Rib Roast Out of the refrigerator and let sit on the counter for 1 1/2 hours until the meat is at room temperature.
* Peel the Garlic Cloves and cut them in half
* Using a sharp tip of a knife make pockets through out the roast and stuff each pocket with a piece of garlic.
* Next, Sprinkle Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder all over the roast and rub it in with your fingers (this draws out a little moisture and coats the meat with a crust).
* Place the meat on a heavy roasting pan (Bone side down) and place in a 450 degree oven to sear for 30 minutes (uncovered).
~*~Tip~*~ If your Prime Rib Roast does not have a bone then place a rack inside of the roasting pan
* After 30 minutes, reduce the heat to 325 degrees and continue to roast for 13-15 minutes per pound (mine was 5 lbs so I let it cook for another hour. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness in the middle of the roast. This cut should be cooked to medium-rare, which is 130 to 140 degrees.
* Once the Roast is done,take it out and cover the roast with the lid or foil and let stand for 15-20 minutes to allow the juices to return to the center of the meat.
* Meanwhile, cook Au Jus per package instructions and pour into a deep pan.
* Slice the Prime Rib and place the slices in the pan with the Au Jus Sauce
* Serve with your favorite sides. I made mashed potatoes and spinach sauted in garlic and olive oil to go with it.